My First Letter To Elgin (Backdated to 23 January 2020)

 Hello Didi,

You must be wondering why you are reading this journal? Well, mummy was looking through the internet one day and I suddenly came across this idea of writing a letter to your child every year. So, mummy is going to try it and let’s see where this brings us.

Well, this letter is back dated to the day you were brought into the world on 23 January 2020! How do we even describe to you this day?

It was a routine check up at our gynae's (Dr Hong Sze Ching)'s clinic when she told Papa and I that I am already 3 cm dilated and told us that we could go home and wait or we could just wait at the hospital. We were quite surprised as we were not expecting this. Plus, now that we also have Jiejie, it is not as simply as just packing up and going to the hospital. We had to ensure that Jiejie is being taken care of as well.

But in all honesty, Mummy is definitely more chill when it comes to the second child birth. For one, I know what to expect. I know that I have to eat the laxative and clear my bowels. I have learnt not to be too anxious about the dilations. I have definitely learnt to ask for the epidural much earlier this time round. So once we were settled into the delivery room, Papa and I were definitely more relaxed and just waiting for you to decide how and when you want to come out.

What we did not expect however, was that you decided to come out much faster than our gynae could get ready. Papa said that he could see the top of your head showing but the nurses tried to hold you back and push you in until the gynae could come and deliver you. 

This time round, I think I could remember more of what happened once you were out. Papa tried to take a video of you on the weigh scale having your weight taken. But he ended up only taking a 1 second clip of you crying (something he regrets up till today). And up till now, that clip of you crying seems to be your favourite clip, we can always calm you down and distract you from a meltdown using that clip.

We were also able to breastfeed you immediately, I guess Mummy's milk came in much faster since this is a second birth.

And so...welcome to the world Lee Hong Xi Elgin!

Comments

Popular Posts